Friday, December 19, 2008

Esther is sick

She lost her IV last night, so they took her to the procedure room to place a new IV.  I really needed sleep (I fell alseep sitting up three times yesterday), so I went to bed.  When I woke up early this morning, I found out she had spiked a fever during the night.  So this morning was lots of fuss over her - 3 failed blood draws, a catheter for a urine sample, and a stool sample (she now has diarhea), and then finally a few minutes ago, they were abe to get a blood draw from her scalp.

Her heart rate was hitting over 200, but the tylenol really helped bring it down.  They have an ice pack (not really cold, just cool as it's wrapped in cloth), that we are placing on parts of her and rotating every few minutes.

I finally had to leave to get breakfast as I was beginning to shake from lack of sleep (haven't gotten more than 5 hours a night since we got down here).

Please pray that they will be able to find what's wrong with her, and that it can be treated quickly.

Also, Jessica and I are wearing thin, so Daryl and the rest of the kids are already on their way down to relieve us.  I think Jessica will come and sit with Esther so I can take a shower and get a nap.  Ideally, we'll get some volunteers to watch Esther to Jessica won't have to do that either.

I'm just numb.


  1. Esther (and your whole family) are in our prayers Ruth.

  2. Hoping and praying she is feeling better! Wanted to point this out to you:

  3. Hello, I found your blog through someone that follows my blog and I want you to know that I will keep you and your family in my prayers. We live on the west side of Cleveland, Ohio and our daughter Liliana who is now 6 months old has been at the Cleveland Clinic Children's hospital since November 4, 2008. She is also DS and was born with a congenital heart defect (AV canal defect). She went in on the Nov.4th to have surgery to repair the holes in her heart but things did not go as planned. To make a long story short she has since then had 2 more open-heart surgeries and she just had her 3rd yesterday. My heart totally goes out to you! I know how tiring, and exhausting it can be both physically, emotionally, and spiritually to sit at a hospital all day because you want to be there for your child. No one can relate to that unless they have been in your shoes. Just know that there are others out there in the same boat as you and if I could I would reach through my computer and give you a big hug! If you get a minute and you would like to learn more about our little Liliana please visit her website or my blog at Sometimes it is comforting to read and learn about others experiences. I will be thinking of you Monday and praying that everything gets better for baby Esther so that her heart can be fixed and she can eventually come home. God Bless You!