Friday, October 22, 2010

Torture session completed this morning

I left at 7:45 am and returned at 11:30, drained, in a little pain, and ready for a long nap....what had I been doing?  Getting yet another tooth prepped for a crown.  Lying down in a quiet environment had it's benefits, but halving your mouth open the entire time (with a rubber dam in there) is just never an enjoyable experience.

I've had two crown's done in the past, but only on the lower teeth - today I learned something new - it is very difficult to numb the roof of the mouth, so they choose to just not do it (it's very painful to have a shot into the roof of you mouth they told me, and I believe them).  So, I felt all the scraping, cutting, whatever done to half of my mouth, and for the last hour I wasn't numb at all...I could handle it without hitting any one, but it took a lot of will power to lay their and not give any indication that I was being hurt by what they were doing to me.  I used a lot of what I have learned to get through childbirth, let me tell you!  I remember a discussion I had recently about sleeping at the dentist, I was tired enough, but I could not possibly sleep with that kind of pain...at least it wasn't constant, just random acts of torture, you know...

So I have survived....

As I got up from the chair, he told me that the tooth next to that one, did have a cavity that they filled as well and that it was so deep that he went ahead and did a build up for that tooth for a future crown...after going through what I just did, that was not good news.  He also told me that he had done a lot of work, and much of it above the gum line (I knew that...).  He said I would be sore for a few days and wondered if I wanted him to prescribe anything for it....man, that was not what I wanted to hear - for some reason doctors and dentists always under-estimate pain...I really think they should undergo these procedures so they can better understand what they are doing and what kind of pain is involved...

I am going to take some prescription pain meds now, as the ibuprophen is not kicking the throbbing...I did get a decent nap, but could not sleep comfortably with the left side of my face on the pillow...

I hope my day has blessed yours...(at the very least, I am sure you had a better day than I did and any problems you had now seem little...at least I hope so!).

To end on a better note, here's a photo of Esther I took last summer, displaying her great flexibility (I have no idea where the camera is at the moment)...




You can see her left foot is behind her head ;)

1 comment: