Monday, October 18, 2010

So much to do, so little time...

I'm not referring to my to do list for today, or even tomorrow....but the bigger scope of things...


Psalm 139:16 "Your eyes saw my unformed substance;
in your book were written, every one of them,
the days that were formed for me,
when as yet there was none of them."

God knows how many days I have here on earth to do the work He has given me...but since I see through a glass darkly, the number of my days on earth and exactly what all He wants me to accomplish is not something I know.

Lately I have been thinking a lot about this - I have known two young people whose life on this earth was far shorter that I could have ever imagined! One was killed by a drunk driver, my neice, Leah, and the other was a son of a friend on mine who drowned in our local river while cooling off after work....I have heard of so many others whose lives seem to have been cut short, ended suddenly, without any warning....no good byes, no last opportunities to accomplish anything, no time for anything. I can't help but wonder what would go through my mind if I were to suddenly find myself staring imminent death in the face, with only minutes until I will face my Redeemer.

car accident

What would go through my mind...how would I finish this sentence:

If only I had......

This is a great thing to think about...for me, I find myself living through each day/week/month with little thought to what I am doing and planning, and before I know it, this day, this week, this month, this year has flown by and I find I really have no idea what I have truly accomplished.

I don't mean to be morbid, but I have been reading "Loving God with all your Mind" by Elizabeth George and she has much to say about the following passage:


Philipians 3:13,14 "I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus."


Am I pressing on toward the prize? Am I living every day to accomplish God's will in my life? Do I take the responsibilities God has given me seriously every waking moment? Am I loving/supporting/helping my husband as God wants me to? Am I raising my children in the fear and admonition of the Lord? Is my life, all I do and say, showing forth the light of Jesus to those I know and come in contact with?

Well Done

But most importantly, when I come into the presence of Jesus, will He say to me "well done my good and faithful servant" (Matt 25:21) or will our conversation look more like this:

'Lord, Lord, did I not give my testimony, and go to many Bible Studies, and teach younger women to love their husbands, and do many other works in your name?' and Christ says to me 'I never knew you; depart from me, you worker of lawlessness.' (Matt 7: 22 & 23 with liberties taken)


It comes down to this - I must have a vital relationship with God, through Jesus Christ or everything I do is in vain. How can I have a vital relationship with God? I must spend time getting to know Him (His Word, The Bible), talk to Him every day, share my struggles, my victories, my fears with Him. Allow Him to help me, fill me, work through me...

Spending time everyday with God, is vital to "pressing on toward the goal" because only God sees the big picture, and only He can show me what I need to accomplish today/this week/this month/this year in order to accomplish the ultimate goal...the goal the God has set for my life.

So what am I changing in order to do this? I am trying to spend time in God's Word, trying to remember to ask God to guide me each day, to grant me the wisdom to know what is important for today and to have the strength to accomplish that.

prayer and Bible reading

At first it seemed to complicated, mind boggling, to try to figure out what it is that I should be doing...what I would regret not doing...but the answer is so simple....ask God!


Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds (Matt 7:7.8)

If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him. James 1:5

No comments:

Post a Comment